Tuesday 27 December 2016

FONT TYPE FOR MAGAZINE MASTHEAD

Now, after choosing the masthead, I must choose a font. The font is one of the key features within the masthead and the boldness and style of it need to suit the genre and attract new readers.

I have collected all my fonts from www.dafont.com

I used the mastheads for Kerrang! and Vive le Rock in order to compare them and analyse similarities that relate to the punk genre:












FONT 1 - 'i tell you all my secrets'

This first font seems to have clear correspondance with the 'Kerrang!' mast head. The fact that it is shattered, distorted and rather bold, connotes the idea that the genre is uncontrollable and raw. I like the overall look of the font but if I were to use this, I would only use it for the masthead as it is not bery clear and will not attract the reader to the other information on the front cover.

FONT 2 - 'Chinese Rocks'


I feel that this font is a strong contender for the mast head due to the fact that the square, bold letters are easy to read meaning that the magazine will have the ability to pull the gaze of the readers to the mast head. Despite being rather straight, if you look closely, the typeface is slightly distorted which subtly connotes the punk genre as explained in the font above. 

FONT 3 - 'American Captain'


This font is one of the boldest which means that it has the potential to be the most visible. I feel that the simplicity and style of this font makes it a clean and usable one. However, the style of the font does not connote the punk genre. A font like this in my opinion would be used in mainstream pop magazines.

FONT 4 - 'Old Press'
This font is rather similar to font 1 due to the distorted theme on the typeface. However, This font is wider and seemingly more bold. I feel that this font would be appropriately used as the mast head due to it's clear relations to the 'Kerrang!' masthead. However, due to the fact that the letters are almost 'eroded', it looses the effect of being bold and does not stand out as much compared to other fonts alike font 3.

FONT 5 - 'Deadliner'
This font is both distorted and bold. The subtle use of distortion in the letters evoke the idea of the punk genre whilst it is easy to read due to the bold font and reasonably sized letters. I feel that this font has all the characteristics of the fonts above combined which is why I will use this for the masthead.


So after all the planning, I can now move on to the production of the magazine. 





No comments:

Post a Comment